Sunday, July 06, 2008

Now I Understand

When I (Kelli) was young, my family would go skiing many weekends throughout the winter. My Mom would spend all evening on the beginners slope by herself while the rest of us explored the rest of the slopes on the mountain. Occasionally we (my brother, sister, and Dad) would ski over to her slopes and check in with her before speeding off again. I remember asking her if she was bored skiing by herself and she would always say something to the effect that she was just happy knowing we were having a good time. When we went to amusement parks, Mom didn't like to get on most of the rides and would spend much of the day waiting for us as we waited in line for the rides. Again, she said it brought her such joy to see us kids having such fun. I never understood this until recently and now I understand. It hit me a few weeks ago when we went to the Missouri Botanical Gardens and Maia was playing in a fountain. She was just bursting with excitement as she splashed around in the water with the other kids. I found myself almost crying as I watched her having so much fun and I remembered what my Mom said years ago. I experienced the joy it does bring to watch your kids having fun. It hit me again on the 4th of July as we watched a parade and Maia began jumping up and down as she saw the parade approaching. I just couldn't take my eyes off her because it brought me such joy to see her excitement. So here are a few pictures to share with you of what brings me such joy.


2 comments:

we are the spencers said...

such a precious post. makes me tear up! thanks for your comment on my blog. i look at your blog often and i am so excited for you at the addition of caden. he is beautiful! hope you all are doing well. i miss our atherton/gulf drive walks too!
danielle

Emily M. said...

I love the picture of Maia in the fountains, especially.