Friday, February 29, 2008

Trees of Exodus

As I migrate out of town, I walk with them. 
They are my companions these trees of mine. 
They have not joined my “ranks”, I have joined theirs. 
They speak to me in hushed, deep tones, 
Tones of remorse, of life, of joy and of deep running waters. 
Their roots are reluctant to take flight, 
But when they do, it is for something most profound. 
So I join with them on this journey, stepping with them into…something important. 
I look carefully at their trunks, breath in their scent 
and I long to be carried on their shoulders. 

And then, without warning I am lifted up. 
Tucked into the folds of his branches, I feel renewed by the scent of life. 
Wisdom washes over me and I smell the smell of understanding. 
It seems clear to me that I have joined in the march with them…
But then, as I look down, there is a new revelation. 
In place of my body, I see a young sapling. 
Only then do I realize the truth. I have not ventured out on my own!
I have only followed in the footsteps of my forebears. 
And, carried now by their strength, I’m lifted into the counsel of a life not my own. 

No comments: